Eur Ing Samantha Raincock BSc (Hons), MSc, CISSP, CCE, MEWI, MBCS, CEng FIET is a Chartered Engineer and a Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology. She has worked as a digital forensics consultant/expert witness, and an Information/IT security specialist for over 12 years and in that time she has prepared over 500 reports/statements and opinions in digital evidence cases for Courts in the UK and Ireland including cases heard in the Old Bailey and Central Criminal Court/Combined Court in Dublin. This includes cases which are criminal, civil and family matters including working as a joint expert. She has provided verbal testimony in England (Crown and Magistrate) and in Ireland (Criminal Court) and conducted a considerable number of case conferences with barristers including Queens' Counsels and Senior Counsels. She has also been asked to partake in numerous expert witness meetings preparing joint statements for Courts.
In the computing forensics
field, Sam is instructed to investigate cases involving network forensics, the evaluation of the use of encryption and wiper software, virus, Trojan and hacking defences and attacks, assessment of security policies/procedures, the presence of indecent/prohibited images of children, use of multiple devices with computer equipment and commenting on the validity of a proposed defence/scenario. In the telecommunications field, she is instructed in cell site analysis
involving determining the locality of a mobile telephone at the time of its past connections. She also performs the evaluation of evidence involving the content of phones
, connection records, connection behavioural analysis
and attribution evidence
. She also performs assessments in cases involving both telecommunications and computer evidence.
Sam also provides experimentation with mobile telephones, digital devices and software/web sites to determine their functionality particularly to ascertain the prevalence of evidence in legal cases. She also provides security assessments for legal cases sometimes involving making assessments of attributing particular actions to person(s) and in the process of this has evaluated the policies and procedures of a number of large organisations.
Sam currently has the following qualifications:
- BSc (First Class Honours) in Computer Science from the University of Durham.
- MSc (Research) in Computer Science from the University of Durham.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional - Member of (ISC)2.
- Certified Computer Examiner and member of the International Society of Forensic Computer Examiners.
- Certified ISO 27001 Implementation Practitioner (Distinction).
- Certified Security Incident Specialist (Distinction).
- Certificate of Successful Completion of the Information Security Management Systems Auditor/Lead Auditor Course (ISO 27001).
- Member of the British Computer Society.
- Member of the Expert Witness Institute.
- European Engineer with the FEANI.
- Chartered Engineer.
- Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
Sam has received advanced/expert level training in the use of Encase and Forensic Toolkit and has received training in various areas of information security including decryption and the auditing of management systems.
Sam also develops bespoke software to assist within the cell site analysis and telecommunications analysis completing at least 200 hours of research and development per year.
See a list of some of Sam's previous case list